Surgery Postponed

We got up at 5:00am this morning to get ready to go to the pre-op waiting area at 5:30am. Our nurse told me that we would be there for two hours, so I brought coloring books and a few things to keep Rachel occupied. After playing for about an hour, Rachel began getting sleepy. But she was fighting it because she was afraid to go to sleep. Then she began getting herself worked up, crying and saying, “Scary.” I held her in my lap and talked to her about what was going to happen. I had already talked to her about Dr. Kirkland working on her heart so that she can run faster. I told her that they would give her some medicine to make her sleepy and some very nice people would take care of her while the doctor worked on her heart and that Mommy and Daddy would be waiting for her when she woke up. She was still pretty anxious, so I asked her if she was remembering when the doctor worked on her heart in China. She nodded “yes”. So I asked her, “Did you have a Mommy and Daddy to take care of you while you were in China?’ She shook her head “no”. Then I told her, “You have a Mommy and Daddy now to take care of you, so this is different than when you were in the hopsital in China. You don’t have to be afraid. Mommy and Daddy are going to be here to take care of you.” Then I sang to her for a few minutes. (She loves any and every kind of music, loves to sing too.) She finally wanted to get back on her bed and then went to sleep for about an hour.

While we were waiting we got to hear from some of the nurses about what an incredible surgeon Dr. Kirkland is. His father is the one who brought cardiovascular care to UAB and there’s a clinic here named after him.

Finally, about 8:30am one of the nurse practitioners came to tell us that Dr. Kirkland is sick and that we would have to postpone surgery til tomorrow. ARRRRGH! That was really frustrating to think about having to do this all over again tomorrow morning.

So we’ve been playing in the playroom and hanging out in the hospital room. I’ve been trying to get some sleep since I couldn’t sleep much last night. I really wasn’t anxious. It was just noisy, and I was sharing a bed with Rachel. Plus, she had to have meds at certain times in preparation for surgery. We ARE in a hospital, however. So everytime I start to fall asleep, someone comes in the room to do something. I know Tommy didn’t sleep much at all. Maybe we’ll be so zonked tonight that we’ll be able to sleep. Rachel slept like a rock.


Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s